The question I receive the most often is “What paperwork and shots do I need to bring my pet to Mexico.”
Because the rules change so frequently, I usually refer people to the El Servicio Nacional de Sanidad Inocuidad y Calidad Agroalimentaria (SENASICA) site, specifically the pages on When Traveling to Mexico With Your Pet.
As of February, 2011, for family dogs and cats, the basic rules are:
- You must present an original and a copy of a Health Certificate issued and signed by a licensed Veterinarian, from the country of origin of the pet. Your vet should have a copy of this form, but you can download it here. Warning: There have been reports that customs agents have been accepting only the original International Health Certificate which includes a folio number.
- This certificate must be dated no more than 10 days prior to entry to Mexico.
- Your pet will need a valid rabies vaccine unless they are under three months of age. Be sure that the dates of inoculation AND expiration of the vaccine are written on the form.
- Pets younger than 3 months cannot receive rabies vaccines, and are exempt from this requirement.
- Your pet will need to receive preventative treatment against internal and external parasites within six months prior to coming to Mexico. Be sure that the form clearly states that the pet has received this preventative treatment, the date of the treatment and that the pet is free from internal and external parasites.
- Your pet must be clinically healthy at examination. Again, be sure the form clearly states this information.
Although the only vaccine Mexico requires is rabies, most responsible pet owners will also want to have a discussion with their vet about administering these additional vaccines to their dogs and cats prior to departure:
Dogs: Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo, and Leptospirosis
Cats: Feline Viral Rhinotracheitis, Calicivirus, and Panleukopenia (FVRCP)
I would like to thank MVZ Karina Gutiérrez Sánchez at SENASICA for her help with this all-important information.
MVZ Karina Gutiérrez Sánchez
Enlace de Alto Nivel de Responsabilidad
Dirección General de Inspección Fitozoosanitaria
Municipio Libre No. 377, Col. Santa Cruz Atoyac
Del. Benito Juárez, México, D.F., C.P.03310
Tel. Conm. (55) 59-05-1000, Ext. 51123